The NEST Initiative is excited to invite everyone interested in Neural Simulation Technology and the NEST Simulator to the 2018 NEST Conference. The NEST Conference provides an opportunity for the NEST Community to meet, exchange success stories, swap advice, learn about current developments in and around NEST spiking network simulation and its application.
This year's conference will take place on the beautiful campus of the Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU) at Ås, just 30 km south of Oslo, during the brightest time of the year.
We would like you to share your experiences made and results obtained with NEST during the conference. You can do so either by a short oral presentation (10–15 minutes), on a poster or by organizing group work. Please send your contribution using the Submit Abstract link no later than 13 May 2018. Since time during the conference is limited, we may not be able to accommodate all proposals. We will try to give you feedback by 17 May.
Registration and costs
Please register for the NEST Conference using the registration form no later than 25 May 2018. Registration fee including lunch (25 & 26 June) and dinner (25 June) is:
- for members of the NEST Initiative: NOK 475 (approx 50 €)
- for non-members: NOK 750 (approx 80 €)
To qualify for the member rate, you need to submit your NEST Initiative membership application and pay your membership dues by 13 May 2018. Please see the NEST Initiative homepage for information on how to join the NEST Initiative.
You need to cover your travel and accommodation yourself. Unfortunately, we are not able offer travel grants this year.
- 25 June, 09-12 — NEST core developers available for meetings
- 25 June, 12-17 — NEST Conference, Part I
- 25 June, 17-18 — NEST Initiative Annual Meeting
- 25 June, 19-23 — Conference barbecue dinner
- 26 June, 09-13 — NEST Conference, Part II
- 30 April 2018 — Deadline for child-care requests
- 13 May 2018 — Deadline for submissions and membership applications
- 17 May 2018 — Notification of acceptance
- 25 May 2018 — Deadline for registration
There are several accomodation options:
- We have reserved 40 rooms (single) in student dormitories on NMBU's campus at Ås. These rooms are in apartments where several rooms share bathroom and kitchen. The cost per night is NOK 485 (approx 50 €) with a minimum stay of three nights. You need to book these rooms with your registration and they will be assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis. You will need to pay the rooms in full together with your conference fee.
- The closest hotel to NMBU is Thon Hotel Ski, about 15 minutes by direct bus from our campus. You can book directly through the hotel website.
- There are many hotels in Oslo which you can find through the usual hotel booking sites. For best transportation to NMBU, you should choose a hotel not too far from the main train station (Oslo S).
If you arrive by airplane, the best option is to fly to Oslo-Gardermoen airport (OSL), which has connections from most major European airports as well as several airports in the Americas and Asia. Note that there is a small chance that you will be shown flights to Sandefjord/Torp (TRF), even if you search for flights to Oslo; avoid Torp, since transportation options are limited.
From the airport, you reach Oslo conveniently by train, or Ås by Airport express bus. To get to Ski, you will need to change from train to bus in Oslo. If you should stay in a hotel in Oslo, you can take express busses to Ås, while local busses connect Oslo and Ski. The train line between Oslo, Ski and Ås will unfortunately be closed for major track improvements this summer. We will post more detailed information closer to the conference date.
If there is sufficient interest, we will attempt to organize child care during the conference. You will need to cover the cost of such child care. If you are interested in this option, you need to let us know by 30 April 2018 by email to email@example.com.
If you have any questions concerning the NEST Conference 2018, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Photography during the event
Photos will be taken during the event, which may be used for public relation and/or documentary purposes, in online and print media of the NEST Initiative, NMBU, the Human Brain Project or related publications. By participating in the event, you declare that your picture may be used in respective publications.