The NEST Initiative is excited to invite everyone interested in Neural Simulation Technology and the NEST Simulator to the NEST Conference 2019. The NEST Conference provides an opportunity for the NEST Community to meet, exchange success stories, swap advice, learn about current developments in and around NEST spiking network simulation and its application.
This year's conference will take place on the beautiful campus of the Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU) at Ås, just 30 km south of Oslo, during the brightest time of the year.
- Monday, 24 June:
- 11:00 — 12:30 Registration and lunch
- 12:30 — 17:00 Talks/Posters/Workgroups with Coffee break
- 17:15 — 18:30 NEST Initiative Annual Meeting (members-only)
- 19:00 Conference Dinner
- Tuesday, 25 June:
- 9:00 — 12:30 Talks/Posters/Workgroups with Coffee break
- 12:30 — 13:30 Lunch
- 13:30 — 17:00 Talks/Posters/Workgroups with Coffee break
- Wednesday to Friday: NEST Hackathon
We would like you to share your experiences made and results obtained with NEST during the conference. You can do so either by a short oral presentation (10–15 minutes) or on a poster.
Please use this template to prepare your abstract and send it as .pdf via email to email@example.com no later than 15 April 2019. Please use the subject line “Abstract Submission” for a poster contribution or “Abstract Submission (talk)” if you would prefer to present your work as a talk.
Since time during the conference is limited, we may not be able to accommodate all proposals. We will give you feedback by 1 May.
Registration and costs
Registration deadline is 15 May 2019. Please register using this form!
Registration fee including lunch (24 & 25 June) and dinner (24 June) is:
- for members of the NEST Initiative: NOK 550
- for non-members: NOK 850
To qualify for the member rate, you need to submit your NEST Initiative membership application and pay your membership dues by 10 May 2019. Please see the NEST Initiative homepage for information on how to join the NEST Initiative.
You need to cover your travel and accommodation yourself. Unfortunately, we are not able offer travel grants this year.
- 15 April 2019 — Deadline for abstract submission
- 1 May 2019 — Notification of acceptance
- 10 May 2019 — Deadline for membership application
- 15 May 2019 — Deadline for registration
There are several accomodation options:
- We will reserved single rooms in student dormitories on NMBU's campus at Ås. These rooms are in apartments where several rooms share bathroom and kitchen. The cost per night is NOK 500 with a minimum stay of three nights. You need to book these rooms with your registration and they will be assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis. You will need to pay the rooms in full together with your conference fee. This is a convenient option, since you will be directly on campus with minimal travel time during the conference and hackathon.
- The closest hotel to NMBU is Thon Hotel Ski, about 15 minutes by direct bus from our campus. You can book directly through the hotel website.
- There are many hotels in Oslo which you can find through the usual hotel booking sites. Unfortunately, the train line from Oslo to Ås will be closed for construction during the conference. There will be alternative transportation from Oslo to Ås, but you will need to allow for 1 hour each way with 1-2 connections per hour. If you stay in Oslo, you should choose a hotel not too far from the main train station (Oslo S). We will provide details later when schedules for the summer become available.
- If you plan on booking private accomodation through web services, you should try to find accomodation either in walking distance from Campus or along the bus line 510 Bøleråsen-Ski-Holstad-Ås-Brønnerud-Dyrløkke for easy access to our campus.
If you arrive by airplane, the best option is to fly to Oslo-Gardermoen airport (OSL), which has connections from most major European airports as well as several airports in the Americas and Asia.
Note that there is a small chance that you will be shown flights to Sandefjord/Torp (TRF), even if you search for flights to Oslo; avoid Torp, since transportation options are limited.
From the airport, you reach Oslo conveniently by train, or Ås by Airport express bus. To get to Ski, you will need to change from train to bus in Oslo. The train line between Oslo, Ski and Ås will probably be closed for major track improvements this summer. We will post more detailed information closer to the conference date.
Please note that there is no train/bus connection to Ski or Ås during the night. We therefore recommend that you book a flight that arrives by 19:00.
If you have any questions concerning the NEST Conference 2019, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Photography during the event
Photos will be taken during the event, which may be used for public relation and/or documentary purposes, in online and print media of the NEST Initiative, NMBU, the Human Brain Project or related publications. By participating in the event, you declare that your picture may be used in respective publications.